Instead of focusing on "good" and "bad" foods, getting control over portions might be a better approach. Since carrying around food scales and measuring spoons can be a bit challenging, here are some visual guidelines for estimating portions that equal one serving:
- The size of your fist is similar in size to one serving of broccoli
- The palm of your hand is similar in size to a 3-ounce serving of cooked meat (restaurant portions may equal 3 or 4 servings)
- A smart phone is similar in size to one standard serving of bread (the grain group) and choose mostly whole grains
- A nine-volt battery is similar in size to one standard serving of cheese (1 1/2 ounces)
- A ping-pong ball is similar in size to one standard serving of peanut butter (2 tablespoons)
- A compact disk (cd) is similar to a standard size serving for one pancake
Keep these visuals in mind as you make healthier choices. Practicing better portion control, might be all that you need to tweak your diet and reach your goal.